DIEEC Celebrates Children’s Book Week – November 6-10, 2023
Join DIEEC for Children’s Book Week, the nation’s oldest and most celebrated literacy initiative. From November 6th to 10th, 2023, we invite you to be part of a wonderful journey into the world of storytelling and imagination.
Theme: Connecting Children with Nature
This year, our theme is “Connecting Children with Nature.” We believe in the power of stories to inspire love and respect for our planet. Through carefully selected books, engaging resources, and fun activities, we aim to foster a sense of environmental care and appreciation in young hearts and minds.
Volunteer Readers and Book Donations:
DIEEC is excited to have volunteer readers visiting early childhood education programs across the state during this week. They will read a book with the children and donate books to their libraries. This is a meaningful way to make reading a fun and engaging experience for young readers.
Diverse Book Collection:
We believe in inclusivity, ensuring that every child can find stories that resonate with them. Our book collection is thoughtfully curated to represent diverse experiences, cultures, and backgrounds.
This year our collection features book titles such as “When Donkey the Chicken had Baby Ducks”, written by Rock Hall, Md. author Abraham Keys. This children’s book is inspired by a true story. In a recent interview, Delmarva Life described it as a story of “unconditional and unconventional love.” Watch Abraham’s interview here.
How You Can Get Involved:
Are you passionate about inspiring young learners and nurturing their connection with nature? Be part of the Children’s Book Week celebration. Pick up a book from your children’s library that connects to nature. Reading together is a great way to participate in Children’s Book Week and share the joy of storytelling with your child.
Discover Helpful Resources
Among our resources, you will find valuable tools to enhance your Children’s Book Week experience:
- Field Trip and Resources (DIEEC) Explore exciting activities for enriching field trips and taking learning outdoors. You will find them conveniently listed by county.
- A Week of Reading Engagement Activities (DIEEC) Dive into a week of engaging activities that you can try out to make reading even more enjoyable.
- Tips for Reading Aloud to a Group (Reading Rockets) Whether you’re reading to young children or older ones, we have tips to make your read-aloud sessions memorable.
- Reading Aloud to Children of All Ages (Reading is Fundamental) A brief explanation of why reading aloud is important, and tips on reading to children of different ages.
Tips for reading to different age groups
While these sheets may be labeled for “parents,” they contain excellent hints for anyone who reads with children.
- Reading tips for parents of babies (Reading Rockets)
- Reading tips for parents of toddlers (Reading Rockets)
- Reading tips for parents of preschoolers (Reading Rockets)
- How to Introduce Toddlers and Babies to Books (Zero to Three)
Recursos en español
- Consejos para leer en voz alta a niños (Reading Rockets) Ya sea que estés leyendo a niños pequeños o a niños mayores, tenemos consejos para hacer que tus sesiones de lectura en voz alta sean memorable.
- Una Semana de Actividades para Fomentar la Lectura (DIEEC) Aquí tienes una semana de actividades cautivadoras que puedes probar para hacer que la lectura sea aún más placentera.
- Excursiones y Recursos (DIEEC) Explora actividades para enriquecer las excursiones y llevar el aprendizaje al aire libre. Las encontrarás convenientemente listadas por condado.